Thursday, November 20, 2014

Why I am PRO-Barbie

I am 5'9, mixed, blue eyes, and weigh 200 pounds. I have cellulite and more than enough love handles for a man to hold. I get my acne, I forget to shave, and have my share of flaws. Ever since I can remember, I've always loved Barbie; she's PERFECT just the way she was intended to be. I had the Dream House, the tapes, the sleep gown, the car, even took up on the JEM knockoff - but never once in my 13 years (ahem) that I played with Barbie looked at her to be something that I should look like, it was a fucking toy. My country girls and I dreamed up worlds that only we could imagine when we weren't playing red rover, street hockey, cowboys & indians, and then eventually moved on to playing with Ken, literally.

So this whole ruckus on the new "Normal" Barbie, is out of whack in my opinion. Too much emphasis has been made on Barbie's waist, hair color, size, proportions, etc... You know what? I believe that our female youth feel like they aren't beautiful because media keeps on debating with Mattel. I don't even remember ONCE my mother or my friends pointing out such areas on Barbie ever wishing we were a size 0 at the age of 8, she was a TOY.  We didn't know about waist or boob sizes, hell we didn't know about sex until we were 13 when our older brothers started having girlfriends and we had our periods. Have I wished I was a size 2, duh but not because of Barbie, you see I saw this beautiful dress at Nordstrom and... Anyway, I never wished and/or thought that I wanted or SHOULD look like Barbie. She was just a beautiful toy that we played dress up with and let our imaginations soar.

OK so seriously, why I don't like this New "Normal" Barbie. First, define NORMAL. I'll wait..... Secondly, she's 5'4. Talk about self esteem. I am 5'9, so what, does that make me not up to standard? Wrong? Then there's the whole adding stickers part such as acne, cellulite, stretch marks... oh hell no.  One thing about Barbie is that she's suppose to be an icon to EMBRACE the classic feminism. To get dolled up and glamorous and be the Princess that most girls want to be. Why can't we just enjoy being in our fantasy world and teach children that's it OK to not LOOK like a damn toy because we're human, instead of completely alternating a toy to look real. I don't know about you, but I freaked out when they came out with that life-size barbie and the doll that used the bathroom - two big no's in my room.

If anything, Barbie should be inspiring. To stay healthy, active, and fit. To always look your best and want to feel good about yourself. Not try to mold your human body to fit a carbon copy made plastic mold.

I get the message, I do. But the message needs to be taught in parenting. We see more low self-esteem children today than back in the 80's and 70's funk and we ask ourselves why. Now correct me if I am wrong, I am not a legit Doctor but tell me something. If we took this shit off media and had better, stronger, tough love, parents would we see this on TV? Would I seriously be ranting about this?

So yes, I ask to be blessed with a daughter so I can give her all the Barbies she wants, build her a life-sized dream house in the backyard complete with the pink convertible toy car and treat her like the Princess she was destined to be. I might even name her Barbie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment